Frances (1982)


Though presented as a true account of the life of the actress Frances Farmer, Frances has been proved in later years to be a largely fictionalized telling of her story, more based on the actress' inaccurate biography written by William Arnold rather than historical facts. Speaking for myself, I'm not particularly bothered by the lack of historical inaccuracy as long as it is not ridiculously and blatantly obvious and most importantly does not betray the nature of the person involved (a recent exemple is The Greatest Showman, in which P.T. Barnum, by all accounts an exploiter, is turned into a champion of diversity and human rights). The problems with Frances extend past its historical innacuracy: for instance, the movie's choppy editing results in a rather uneven pace and for every visually appealing frame there is one that feels even clumsily shot. Ultimately it is neither a great biopic nor a great film, but Jessica Lange's incendiary, showstopping performance grants it an undeniably lasting power. 

The film opens with a teenage Farmer reading her essay called "God dies" in front of her classmates' shocked, enraged parents. It's the first controversial action from the actress in a life that is filled with them: in 1935, she embarks on a trip to USSR to visit the Moscow Art Theatre, sparking outrage in her own town and increasing the rumors about her having Communist sympathies; the same year, she is offered a seven-year-contract with Paramount Pictures but her stubborn refusal to play by the rules and her outspoken personality put her at odds with the producers; she then decides to pursue a career on Broadway, starring in a play called Golden Boy written by Clifford Odetes, which becomes her lover in spite of him being married: when Odetes breaks up the affair and she is replaced by a wealthier actress who can fund the production for its international run, she is forced to return to Hollywood where she is relegated to background, unchallenging roles. This marks the beginning of her downward spiral into depression, acoholism and amphetamine addiction, leading to various nervous breakdowns and hospitalizations, during which she is stripped of her civil rights, with her domineering mother (Kim Stanley) being appointed as  her legal guardian, and becomes the subject of brutal abuses in the hands of doctors and orderlies until her eventual release in 1950. The events described in the movie are, on broad terms, true, even though, as I mentioned earlier, screenwriters added a lot of elements with the purpose of sensationalisation (for example, it is unlikely that Farmer was actually lobotomized as it is shown in the film). The film intertwines Farmer's real life events with her romance with a left-wing journalist named Harry York, an entirely fictional character that would have been useless and preposterous if it weren't for Sam Shepard's warm, tender performance and his splendid chemistry with Lange. 

Frances is a film that has its heart in the right place and a heartfelt tribute to a woman destroyed by a society she refused to oblige to. But it's also a film that, in spite of its best intentions, always feels more interesting for its story in general than for its execution and depiction of the story. The movie's flow feels fragmentary and disjointed, certain parts feel somewhat rushed and others excessively diluted. Graeme Clifford's direction is perfectly respectable but there's nothing in his work that feels truly personal and original - it's a fine work but it does not feel like he has a full grip on the story and its tone, which is granted more by Lange's performance and John Barry's melancholic score than him. There are some inspired scenes - a montage that intertwines Farmer's interview with the doctors with glimpses of her life at the hospital is especially brilliant - but they are isolated moments throughout the film. In terms of writing, Frances' criticsm on the strict, oppressive Hollywod system as well as the hypocrisy and moralism of the American society of the time does register, but it has been done in more inventive, sharper ways both before and after. The portrayal of the complicated relationship between Farmer and her mother Lillian is more interesting script-wise and it grants Lillian a surprising complexity: she is a woman who doesn't mind her daughter being controversial (she whole-heartedly supports her essay even though everyone else perceives it as outrageous) but only as long as it does not contrast with her own views. There's also a surprisingly well-realized arc to the character, as she grows more and more enamored with Hollywood glamour and becomes progressively more indifferent to her daughter's needs as opposed to her own. Unfortunately, the impact of this performance is undercut by Kim Stanley's overly mannered performance that would have been a tour-de-force on stage but that feels excessively shrill on screen.

What ultimately makes the movie work is Jessica Lange's portrayal of an incredibly challenging role that requires her to run the gamut of emotions from A to Z - and she gives one of the greatest performances of all time. Lange is an actress I've always admired because she is an actress that always wear her hearts on her sleeves in her performances, even at the expense of being technically imperfect. There's a raw, visceral quality to her acting that makes her an intensely compelling performer and this has never been truer than in Frances. She has to portray Farmer over the course of about thirty years and she is utterly convincing every single step of the way. She's brilliant in the beginning at portraying Farmer's youthful idealism, her compassion towards people and her artistic integrity, with a defiant loyalty to her principles that makes her an inspiring figure in spite of her flaws. Throughout the story, she is absolutely devastating in her depiction of Farmer's downfall and she conveys all the facets of this complicated, layered person: she can be darkly funny, such as when Farmer provocatively tells her "profession" to a police officer or when she fiercely antagonizes and teases her doctor; she can be delicately, subtly touching, such as when she runs away with Harry and then comes back to her mother with a weary, tired look on her face; and she can be almost unbearably harrowing, such as in her scenes at the psychiatric facility. There's a feral, animalistic edge to her performance that is perfectly fitting to the character, a woman who fights to be true to herself even though the whole world is against her. She gives such a vivid representation of Farmer's tragic journey that by the end of the film you are almost exhausted: and in the final scene, Lange's subtle portrayal of aching defeat achieves a haunting, everlasting power. Frances is a film that does not have a lot going on besides its leading performance, but what an amazing performance it is.

65/100

Commenti

  1. Questo commento è stato eliminato dall'autore.

    RispondiElimina
  2. Do you think Lange should have won the oscar, because she was up against Meryl Streep in "Sophie's Choice".

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. It's very difficult for me to choose between the two performances since they are both amazing and yet very different, as Lange's performance tends to be more emotion-driven while Streep's is a more intellectual, technical piece of work. Lange seems to abandon herself completely on screen whereas Streep's performance is a carefully studied one. I don't mean it in a bad way as Streep manages to make all the mannerisms and accents of her performance work in a way that feels completely natural and cohesive and not overcooked. She disappears completely into the role, she is brilliant in the flashbacks at portraying her character's harrowing journey and equally excellent in the present scenes at conveying a painful state of guilt and self-loathing behind her charming façade. The choice scene is a masterpiece of acting and it's absolutely horrifying to watch.

      Again, it's difficult to choose between the two performances. At the moment, I think I'd pick Lange but they are two of the greatest performances ever to be put on-screen and I would never begrudge Streep's win.

      Elimina
    2. I wanted to ask the same thing! i'd pick Lange over Streep too.
      I watched Frances three years ago, because i was watching AHS and i fell in love with Lange so i wanted to see her most famous performances, while Tootsie and Blue Sky were a very disappointment, i thought her performance here was terrific and so harrowing.
      Your ratings on the cast?

      Elimina
    3. I loved all of Lange's performances in American Horror Story, Asylum and Freak Show especially. I have yet to see Blue Sky, but I actually liked her in Tootsie. Not a groundbreaking achievement, but it's a sweet, relaxed and earnest performance that adds a lot to the film in my opinion. Anyway, I'm really glad we agree on her in Frances.

      Stanley - 2.5
      Shepard - 3.5
      Burns - 3

      Everyone else did next to nothing.

      Elimina
    4. Lange's performance in Asylum is actually my favorite, but i loved her in Asylum too.

      By the way, what are your thoughts on Whiterspoon and Dern in Wild? The film is a mess but the performances are terrific and I think Dern especially i think is underrated there(and can i have your ranking and rating on the supporting actress line up of 2014?)

      One last question, are you going to see Loro 1 this week?

      Elimina
    5. You repeated Asylum twice :) which would actually be your favorite?

      I agree about Wild being a mess. I originally gave both Witherspoon and Dern a 3.5 originally, but to be honest I think I should re-evaluate their work. I doubt I'll like the movie more, but I think I might appreciate their performances far more, especially Dern's. At the moment, my ranking for Best Supporting Actress 2014 would probably be Stone (4.5) > Knightley (4) > Arquette (4) > Streep (4) > Dern (3.5) but I think there is a strong chance I'll like both Knightley and Dern more on a rewatch so it's likely subject to change.

      Yes, I think I'll go to see Loro 1 this week.

      Elimina
    6. She is indeed brilliant in Freak Show. Such a complete, multi-layered performance and she is absolutely compelling all the way through. Her last scene with Pepper broke my heart.

      Elimina
    7. I just saw Loro 1, i have to think about it for a couple of days before giving any thoughts. It's like if The Wolf of Wall Street was directed by Sorrentino.

      Elimina
    8. I just saw it too. I have yet to decide whether to review it or to wait for the second part and review it as whole.

      Elimina
    9. I think you should wait for the second part, so you can analyze Servillo's performance more in detail.

      Elimina
  3. I'm curious now, Giuseppe: Why are Arquette and Streep a 4 for Boyhood and Into the Woods respectfully? I've seen both performances and wasn't overly taken with either of them. As far as I'm concerned, Ethan Hawke was Boyhood's MVP by far and Arquette really paled in comparison. Streep, meanwhile, kind of annoyed me to be honest.

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. I'd agree that Hawke was the MVP of Boyhood rather easily, but I still liked Arquette's performance and I have to admit I don't really get the backlash against her work. I thought she portrayed believably her character in the different phases of her life, bringing the right amount of motherly warmth while still conveying her whole personal strain throughout the years. I didn't think it was a perfect piece of work, especially due to rather repetitive writing regarding her character, but still I felt she was effective and moving.

      As for Streep, I liked her performance as I thought the mannerisms she adopted worked perfectly for the role. She's over-the-top but purposefully so and I felt she made for an entertaining, unpredictable presence whenever she appeared. She brings the right energy to all of her musical numbers, especially "Stay with Me" which I found a surprisingly heartbreaking moment. I thought the film did her no favors by sparing Rapunzel though as it denies the emotional impact of the ending of The Witch's arc. Still, I enjoyed her work even if Emily Blunt gave the best performance in the movie for me.

      Elimina
  4. Could you write a review of All About Eve in one of your future posts?

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. Sure. I have a few movies I want to see before, but I'll rewatch All About Eve as soon as possible (after all, it's one of my favorites) and review it.

      Elimina
  5. Well if we're making requests on films, I would love to see your thoughts on Unforgiven, In Bruges and The Assassination of Jesse James

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. They are all three films I'm extremely interested in seeing, and I'll try to do it as soon as possible.

      Elimina
  6. I have long felt a special connection with Herbal Medicine. For one thing is natural, Charlie we went to the same small college in Southern California — Claremont Men’s College — though he dropped out and ultimately enrolled at the Julliard School of the Performing Arts in New York. Had he stayed at Claremont, he would have been a senior the year I started there; I have often kidded that I was the reason he left when he finds out I had herpes. So my life have been lonely like hell all day I couldn't bear the outbreak pain, Tasha then introduce me to Dr Itua who use his herbal medicine to cure her two weeks of drinking it. I place an order form him and he delivers to my post office then I picked it up and used for two weeks all my sore was healed completely no more outbreak I'm honestly telling you this man is a great man, I trust him and his herbal medicine so much I'm sharing this to show my appreciation also to let sick people know there is hope with Dr Itua Herbal Made Medicine.Dr Itua Contact Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com,Whatsapp.+2348149277967
    He cures.
    Herpes,
    STROKE.
    Hepatitis
    H.P.V TYPE 1 TYPE 2 TYPE 3 AND TYPE 4. TYPE 5.
    HIV
    SYPHILIS.
    Liver/Kidney Inflammatory
    Epilepsy

    RispondiElimina

Posta un commento

Post popolari in questo blog

Giuppi Awards 2018

Love, Simon (2018)